Sirens

The ABO Trust has received a generous gift from Diana Ambache to run a new fund, Sirens, which aims to raise awareness and appreciation of the music written by historical women from around the world.

Annual grants will be allocated according to the range and value of each project. Each year £19,000 will be shared between 4 to 5 projects for concerts, tours, recordings and education work deemed to be doing most to advance and promote the understanding of music by women. These will be selected by a panel agreed between the ABO and Diana Ambache.

Eligibility

  • The scheme will be open to full and associate members of the ABO
  • Pieces should be for orchestra including opera and choral works that require an orchestra. We are defining an orchestra as an ensemble consisting of a minimum of 12 musicians
  • The Women of Note website: http://www.womenofnote.co.uk/repertoire.htm lists orchestral music by historical women composers, displayed in alphabetical order, chronological order and by different orchestrations. The downloadable document can be accessed here: www.womenofnote.co.uk/ABO_Sirens.pdf
    A further list of female composers can be viewed here
  • Priority consideration will be given to projects showing substantial profile raising of works by female composers, work that addresses a significant gap in provision, challenges contemporary attitudes, and takes an enterprising approach to influencing people
  • Please note that if the composer is still alive the piece will be ineligible. Pieces by living women composers may be included in the programme, as long as the historical piece is the main work for which you are seeking funding.

Criteria
When assessing applications to this fund, we will be considering the potential short and long term impact of the applicant’s approach to programming the piece. This will include demonstrating:

  • The potential for the piece and the way it is programmed for the audience to appreciate – exploring new horizons, expanding the available repertoire and offering associated learning and participation work
  • The approach to the programming and promoting of the work within the orchestra’s planned artistic season and also beyond the main publicity, recordings, broadcasts and other avenues, relevance to the orchestra’s ethos and artistic/business strategy
  • How the project is distinctive, what is the significance of the work and/or composer?
  • A strong PR/marketing plan and if applicable, associated learning and participation work
  • Applications must be made by 5pm, 28 February 2017 and should be programmed within the 2018/2020 seasons
  • This fund will be reviewed annually to ensure it is fit for purpose. If you are successfully funded at any point during any two year period, you cannot apply for the fund again within two years
  • Applications must be made by the orchestra and all grants awarded via this fund will be paid direct to the orchestral organisation.

We reserve the right not to award all the available funds (£19,000) each year.

What can be funded?
We will consider every application on a case-by-case basis. We are inviting orchestras to propose why they have selected the piece; what makes it a distinctive work and how they will programme it in their tour or season, ensuring engagement with a large audience. Orchestras can apply for funding to help cover the following:

  • Music hire
  • Orchestral rehearsal time
  • Instrument Hire
  • Performer fees
  • Promotion/performance of work
  • Touring costs in the UK
  • A combination of some of the above

What can’t be funded?

  • New commissions
  • One-off performances
  • Recording only
  • International tours with no UK involvement

Funding application deadline

  • The deadline for receipt of applications is Tuesday 28 February 2017, 5pm. All submissions must be completed using the grant application form. This is a downloadable document on the ABO website.
  • The grant application should be emailed to Fiona Harvey: Fiona@abo.org.uk
  • You will receive an acknowledgement email within two working days following your submission. If information is missing from your application form, the email will provide a report of outstanding information. You will be asked to resubmit the grant application if necessary.

Notice of Award

  • If you are awarded a grant, you will receive notice of acceptance by email.
  • You will be emailed an offer letter and asked for your bank details.
  • Once you have returned your signed offer letter, payment of 80% of the grant will be made via BACS to your orchestra’s bank account. The remaining 20% will be paid on receipt and approval of your evaluation report.
  • If you are not awarded a grant, you will receive an email informing you of this news.

For further information please contact Fiona Harvey: Fiona@abo.org.uk


Downloads

YouTube